In 2002, the untimely death of Anastasia Antoniadou, a high-ranking executive of Milos of the then S&B Industrial Minerals SA. (now IMERYS INDUSTRIAL MINERALS HELLAS S.A.), with outstanding voluntary, social and cultural activity in the local community, who was also an excellent mother, professional and scientist, inspired the Company to establish the "ANASTASIA ANTONIADOU" Scholarship (A.A.S.) to honor her memory, aiming to motivate and benefit the local community of Milos and Kimolos, in which the Company operates.
The A.A.S. has become an institution for the last almost 20 years (since 2003). Honoring the memory of the deceased colleague and wanting to promote the active action of women in all areas of social activity (family, professional, scientific, etc.), the A.A.S. is addressed to women graduates of the Lyceums of Milos (General and Vocational) and Kimolos, annually rewarding a graduate, who entered in one of the Greek Higher Education Institutions after successful passing the general entrance exams. The A.A.S. is awarded with priority to the successful entrants to university departments related to the subject and the activity of the Company, promoting one of the historically and through time more important pillars of the local economy of the island: Mining.
The A.A.S. aims at the financial support of the scholarship holder in order to address the special living expenses created by studies far from the islands of Milos-Kimolos.
The A.A.S. includes an Honorary Diploma and a Cash Prize of 4,000 € per year for all the years of the studies, not exceeding a total of 20,000 €. It is awarded annually on the basis of a specific statute which defines in a clear and inviolable way:
- the syllabus and the priority of the Higher Education Departments
- the conditions and supporting documents for the application
- the criteria for selecting scholarship awardees and the method for evaluating applications
- the participants in the Evaluation Committee
- the content of the A.A.S. and how it is administered and the place and manner of awarding it
The evaluation of the applications and the decision to award the scholarship is made by a committee consisting of:
- the Mayor of Milos, who chairs the committee
- The Director of the General Lyceum of Milos
- A representative of the family of ANASTASIA ANTONIADOU
- The Director of Milos Operations of IMERYS Industrial Minerals Greece S.A.
The Evaluation Committee of the "ANASTASIA ANTONIADOU SCHOLARSHIP", which met under the chairmanship of the Mayor of Milos on March 29, 2022, after examining the submitted applications of three candidates for the school year 2020-2021, awarded the twentieth A.A.S. to KSYDOY ANDRIANA of Georgios, a graduate of the General Lyceum of Milos and an undergraduate student at the Department of Chemical Engineering of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.